Friday, January 21, 2011

THERE ARE NO CRACKS IN THE WALLS

EVERYONE GRIEVES THE LOSS OF A LOVED ONE AT SOME TIME IN THEIR LIVES.  AT THE TIME THAT I WROTE THIS I HAD LOST NO ONE BUT I HAD LOST MANY. POETRY TO ME IS A VERY PERSONAL FORM OF COMMUNICATION.  SOMETIMES IT COMES TO ME FROM A DREAM,  THIS ONE SIMPLY CAME TO ME FOR WHATEVER REASON GOD CHOSE TO GIVE IT TO ME--PERHAPS TO SOOTHE SOMEONE ELSE'S LOSS.

A weathered farmhouse is drenched in sunlight.
Drapes are drawn against dazzling brightness.
Darkness and sadness enfold the household inside.
A woman, a small boy, and an old man,
Have lost respectively: a mother, a grandmother, and wife.
The deceased had been ailing for some time.
Her loved ones feel mixed emotions.
Her rightful place now is in the Kingdom of Heaven.
The family wants her to be at peace  and free from pain.
It is the inability to feel her near or know where she is
That leaves them feeling discomfited.
The woman dries her tears and goes about her chores.
The old man and the boy leave the house.
They walk hand in hand, heads hanging down, searching for solace.
They are gone the better part of the afternoon.
Near supper-time they return--the woman is setting the table.
The boy clutches a bunch of wildflowers.  She gives him a bowl.
He sets them in the center of the table in honor.
Heads bow in prayer.  Eyes are drawn like magnets toward the centerpiece.
A shaft of light sparkles upon the kaleidoscope of petals.
The eyes turn in unison to the absent place--her chair is bathed in brilliant light.
The woman, the boy, and the old man look at one another and smile.
Fear and sadness have vanished--for there are no cracks in the walls.

GOD BLESS!  SEE YOU NEXT TIME!!

1 comment:

  1. I can only say that I am rather glad there was NO lifeguard in our gene pool! We have some pretty AMAZING traits (gifts and talents)in our DNA and prolific writing is one of them. Some more than others. LOL! I would be one of the "others"! ROFL!

    My poetry comes in seasons. Interesting. However, I have come to find it very much fits into the, "a purpose for all things" category, as does everything else! He, he ...

    My season has been dry. VERY dry. It does my heart good to read your words and as I mentioned, I can only hope that you will have your writings bound in a book to pass along to my children, their children, and so on and so forth - EVERYONE!

    Beautiful story told here Mama. When you read it to me on the phone, I had a motion picture clip playing in my head and tears welled-up in my eyes. This poem TRULY can speak to anyone at some time in their life as we all have or will suffer a loss ... or, as you have, many losses.

    <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete